Monday 6 December 2010

Uh Oh, I'm still not getting used to these deadlines!

As you have probably guessed my name is Chloe (yes I wasn't trying to fool you or bluff with my blog title, that would be extremely silly, and I'm rather glad that my name begins with a C otherwise it would not have worked as well. Cheers Ma and Pa). Anyway I've digressed and I've got a deadline looming so...what's this all about?

Well I'm an aspiring journalist and I'm currently sitting in the warmth of the Catch 22 offices at the Bernie Grants Arts Centre where the Catch 22 Academy is based. I am halfway through the course; a jam-packed 12-week programme that teaches young and aspiring journalists (who may lack experience but make up for it with passion) about what it really takes to cut the mustard in the journo world.

I've learnt so much I feel like my brain is about to blow up: Interview techniques, transcribing, court reporting, how to write and pitch feature ideas, most of all it has taught me that almost anyone can write but if you don't have the determination to succeed then you might be sent packing, Lord Sugar style.

By packing loads into the course and giving us a chance to sample many different areas of journalism it gives us a good idea of what we might like to do and highlights our strengths and weaknesses and by providing you with the tools to succeed it really boosts your confidence and motivates you in a way that this man would be proud of:


So where does it all go from here? Well I'm currently writing my feature for the Catch-22 magazine which will come out in Spring but before then expect to see lots more from the catch-22 office on here and maybe one day I'll be as big as Tony Wilson, journalist, broadcaster, Factory records owner and also the man who discovered these guys:

"Do what you're doing, say what you're saying....Sounds good to me"




No comments:

Post a Comment